Glen Moray 10YO Chardonnay Cask Whisky reviewSeptember 30, 2017
Mackmyra Svensk Rök PastillesDecember 28, 2017
Four Roses Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, a.k.a the Yellow Label regular bourbon by Four Roses distillery. This is a legendary American whiskey, not by taste but by conspicuousness. Four Roses has to be one of the most well-known US whiskey brands along with Jack Daniel’s. At least I’ve known it all my adult life, long before I became an whiskey enthusiast.
According to Four Roses website, their regular bourbon has a surprisingly long list of awards and accolades:
- 2016 Gold Medal; San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2014 Gold Medal; San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2014 Gold Medal; Denver International Spirits Competition
- 2013 Wine Enthusiast Top 50 Spirits Award
- 2010 Silver Medal; San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2010 Excellent/Strong Recommendation, 92 Points; Ultimate Beverage Challenge
- 2010 American Whisky Best Bourbon 7 Years & Under; World Whiskey Awards
- 2010 Highly Recommended, 88 Points; International Review of Spirits
- 2008 Highly Recommended, 88 Points; International Review of Spirits
Four Roses distillery has only two mash bills, when usually American distilleries use 3-5 mash bills for making whiskey. Four Roses Bourbon is being made at Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. Mash bills used for it contain 75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley and 60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley. You can check out their recipe infographic here.
Valentine’s Day whiskey
Four Roses Kentucky Straight Bourbon is in my opinion, nothing special, but a steady and smooth American whiskey for bargain hunters. I myself prefer Buffalo Trace, when looking for quality bourbon with a cheap price tag. But Four Roses isn’t bad either, surprisingly tasty for the price you’ll be getting it.
And a great gift idea for Valentine’s Day: