Four Roses Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, a.k.a the Yellow Label regular bourbon by Four Roses distillery. This is a legendary American whiskey, not by taste but by conspicuousness. Four Roses has to be one of the most well-known US whiskey brands along with Jack Daniel’s. At least I’ve known it all my adult life, long before I became an whiskey enthusiast.
According to Four Roses website, their regular bourbon has a surprisingly long list of awards and accolades:
- 2016 Gold Medal; San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2014 Gold Medal; San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2014 Gold Medal; Denver International Spirits Competition
- 2013 Wine Enthusiast Top 50 Spirits Award
- 2010 Silver Medal; San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2010 Excellent/Strong Recommendation, 92 Points; Ultimate Beverage Challenge
- 2010 American Whisky Best Bourbon 7 Years & Under; World Whiskey Awards
- 2010 Highly Recommended, 88 Points; International Review of Spirits
- 2008 Highly Recommended, 88 Points; International Review of Spirits
Four Roses distillery has only two mash bills, when usually American distilleries use 3-5 mash bills for making whiskey. Four Roses Bourbon is being made at Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. Mash bills used for it contain 75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley and 60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley. You can check out their recipe infographic here.
Valentine’s Day whiskey
Four Roses Kentucky Straight Bourbon is in my opinion, nothing special, but a steady and smooth American whiskey for bargain hunters. I myself prefer Buffalo Trace, when looking for quality bourbon with a cheap price tag. But Four Roses isn’t bad either, surprisingly tasty for the price you’ll be getting it.
And a great gift idea for Valentine’s Day: