Kyrö Wood Smoke Rye WhiskyFebruary 7, 2022
Kilchoman Feis Ile 2019 reviewApril 21, 2022
This one was a pleasure, not only because of the legendary name and stunningly shaped bottle, but because we’re talking about a traditional American rye whiskey.
Sazerac Rye Whiskey symbolizes the tradition and history of New Orleans, dating back to the 1800’s. To a time when coffee houses and saloons were serving toddies made using rye whiskey and Peychaud’s bitters.
Especially a place called Sazerac Coffee House on Royal Street offered its customers this alcoholic beverage, which became known as the “Sazerac”, America’s first branded cocktail.
Sazerac Straight Rye Whiskey is a product by Sazerac Company Inc. which was founded in the 1800’s after the success of the drink and the bar. The company is still headquartered in New Orleans, yet the whiskey is produced at Buffalo Trace Distillery. Kentucky.
They have released two variations. A very limited 18 year old expression and this ongoing no-age statement release, also known as the “Baby Saz”, which once was marketed as 6 year old. So the general guess is that this core range product is still 6 years old, or at least 4 years.
Believed to be made out of Buffalo Trace’s “low rye mash bill” (approx. 51% rye, 39% corn and 10% malted barley).
Most recent awards, list taken from Buffalo Trace website:
- 91 points – “Best Buy” – Wine Enthusiast Magazine, Feb
- 2019 Silver Medal – San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2018 Silver Medal – New York International Spirits Competition
- 2018 Silver Medal – North American Bourbon & Whiskey Competition
- 2018 Gold Medal – Los Angeles International Spirits Competition
- 2018 Gold Medal – San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- 2018 Trophy Finalist; “Great Value;” “Tried & True” – 94 points – Ultimate Spirits Challenge
- 2018 Silver Medal – Denver International Spirits Competition
- 2017 Gold Medal – 92 points – Beverage Testing Institute
- 2017 Gold Medal – New York World Wine & Spirits Competition
Sazerac Rye Scoring86
Whiskey gift ideas
For gift ideas, check out my articles regarding whiskey glasses. I’ve also made posts for various whiskey glass niches: